Sunday, March 4, 2018

Response to Questions for the Candidates - Environment - Part Five

Welcome back! I am continuing to respond to the questions from ADF members directed to the candidates running for office. 
Today's response relates to the subject of the Environment.
Image by Gerd Altmann (Creative Commons CC0)

BE:  How do you view environmental issues within the context of ADF? What, if any, goals do you have to change the current actions or lack of actions currently present within ADF?



Personally, I came to paganism because I have always viewed the Earth as a living, breathing being in her own right, and I joined ADF because of the reverence for the earth. While I wish that we could all be completely sustainable, I am realistic enough to know that is not possible without a lot of work by more people than just ADF. That said, however, I believe that there is much we can do as an organization to propel ourselves in the proper direction. Offering paperless memberships and doing away with as much mail as possible is a good start. Using our networking to distribute information about sustainability is another good thing that many of us are already doing. More workshops at festivals (ADF and non-ADF) on the subject of sustainability would be a great next step in educating not only ourselves but others. I recently had the privilege to sit in on a sustainability workshop presented by our very own Rev. Melissa Hill at ConVocation - a pan-pagan indoor festival held in the Detroit Metro area in February each year. She had some great information to share, which sparked some great discussion, and I have no doubt that those folks will soon be having conversations within their covens, groves, etc., as a result.

I really think education is key, but it does not have to be as formalized as a workshop. Simply speaking up when people make poor environmental policies, so that they understand *why* it is a poor choice is important. We had several of our groves doing that as part of their support for the DAPL protesters, others (groves and individuals) provided monetary support. I would have loved to see the Mother Grove do more. I understand that there is a fine line between activism and politics. I believe that we need to always keep that line in sight. But I also believe that we often need to walk as close to that line as we can in order to truly advocate for the Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment