Thursday, February 22, 2018

Response to Questions for the Candidates - Consent - Part Two

Welcome back! I am continuing to respond to the questions from ADF members directed to the candidates running for office. 
Today's responses relate to the subject of Consent.
Image by Gerd Altmann (Creative Commons CC0)

DE:  How will you contribute to building a culture of consent in ADF?
SL:  Lately, ADF has been rocked by several 'scandals' for lack of a better word, and frankly, the MG has floundered. From appointing people to making statements without complete information, these sorts of things are damaging to the organization. If elected, how would you go about navigating the issues facing the organization around bringing more transparency to processes while still responding to crisis in a timely manner?
JK:  To build on SL's question slightly: In response to the recent allegations against Isaac Bonewits, the ADF Mother Grove unanimously voted to provide (and fund) training for our Mother Grove, Regional Druids, and Clergy in the Consent Culture Course from Cherry Hill Seminary. I don't think the candidates' bios are the necessary venue to debate the merit of those accusations--I think the candidates should feel free to take a stance if they are called to, but that it is not something I would be looking for in their bios. However, I was incredibly proud to see the Mother Grove approve this class. I think it was a wise and proactive step to ensure that, moving forward as a religious organization, our leadership is equipped with the knowledge and skills to better identify, process, and even prevent coercion and abuse in our communities. I would like to see our candidates briefly discuss their responses to this course, specifically regarding how it may inform their leadership decisions.
I personally think that creating a culture where consent is something to be requested rather than assumed is necessary, not just within ADF or the greater pagan community, but within society as a whole, worldwide. I am hopeful that by working now to create that culture within ADF, we can create a standard and example for others to follow. 
To be clear, I was not enrolled in the Cherry Hill Seminary course, as I am not a current MG member, nor am I an RD or a member of the clergy. However, my husband and I personally donated to cover the cost of tuition for one of our clergy members. We also have plans to take the course ourselves directly through Cherry Hill Seminary later this year. 
I am the Assistant Senior Druid of Cedarsong Grove and I am very proud to say that my grove takes consent very seriously. Several years ago, we established a very basic consent policy, which we are already working to improve given the recent situation. We further believe that consent does not apply only to sexual matters. For example, if you have ever met us at a festival, you have probably been invited to join us for pickle shots. In which case, you have probably also heard me explain that the point of the pickle shots is the camaraderie, so you are welcome to join us for just the vodka, just the pickle, just the fellowship, or the whole shebang, whatever you are comfortable with. 
Further, my grove coordinates a fellowship suite at ConVocation, a pan-pagan festival/convention which is held in February each year. This year, I am working with Reverend Melissa Hill (who has just completed the course) on plans to facilitate discussions regarding consent in our suite. 
And if you follow me personally on facebook, you will see that I was publicly vocal on consent education for quite some time before the allegations against Isaac went public.  
I understand that the current Mother Grove holds a position that we should not expend energy telling the rest of the world who or what we are not, and I can even to some degree understand the mindset. “You cannot prove a negative” is a valid statement. However, at the same time, there are instances of “guilt by association” which I believe should be confronted head on because failing to do so creates the impression of implied agreement. In the current social climate, we cannot afford to be misunderstood on any subject of bigotry or abuse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment